Monday, September 19, 2005

Disregard Previous Post...

Had to write a new post as I'm in a completely different place than I was this afternoon. I went to a bookstore (of course) and found

1. A display table devoted to the Jewish High Holy Days-- how cool is that?
2. A great book there called The Modern Jewish Girl's Guide to Guilt (pleasing your parents, hating your therapist, not worrying enough, finding the perfect Jewish man, divorcing the perfect Jewish man, not calling your mother, enjoying eggnog lattes, loyalty to Israel, RSVPing no, dating Goyim, supplying enough grandchildren, bacon cheeseburgers, academic perfection, becoming a Jewish mother, marrying a German. )

What a great book; it's a collection of essays by Jewish women, of course. It's funny how many of the pieces I relate to so far. I went to my folks for dinner which was fun. I said a few posts ago that I was proud that they hadn't even offered to buy my car tires: I spoke too soon. Still proud of turning them down though! Mom bought me a Halloween plate (think bright purple with ghosts, pumpkins, and bats on it) that's good for cookies and things. I cleaned the fishtank when I got home, which is a rather meditative experience. The aquarium exists as a kind of microcosm, so cleaning it is like cleaning up your whole life in miniature. Out, out nasty little snails that come from nowhere! Get thee gone! The houseplants love the aquarium water because it is so nutrient-rich, which is code for filled-with-fish-poop.

Now I'm watching My Hero on PBS and am quite content.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

Glad to hear it.

Anonymous said...

I love being a jewish girl.

Something about it makes me happy, even if I'm not a religious person.

Miss you!
-Erin