Sunday, June 24, 2007

No News is Good News

Haven't posted in a few days just because there's nothing much to write about, and I'm too busy holding my breath to internet anyway. Although I found out mid-Thursday that I am having progesterone issues (i.e. the hormone that is supposed to rise slowly and steadily was instead falling at an alarming rate), I could not get the progesterone supplements until Friday afternoon. Apparently they are not something pharmacists keep in stock, but have to be made to order; they are also, apparently, not an oral medication.

I was kind of freaked out at first by the idea of. . . (brace yourselves, now!) vaginal suppositories. Especially when the pharmacy clerk said--ever so cheerfully and loudly--"Keep them in the refrigerator, hon, so that they'll be easier to insert!" Because I need everybody at the Giant supermarket to know that I have insertable medicine! Yes.

Now, I think that they are the funniest thing ever, because I'm mature like that. Hey, just because I might possibly be having a baby doesn't mean that I have to be all mature and everything all at once, right? Anways. If you can picture incense cones made of candle wax, then you know what I've got in my fridge. And actually, given my terrible track record with taking pills, I'm starting to think that ALL of my medications should be applied this way. It would keep me from the choking, gagging, throwing medicine back up... I kind of wish that my prenatal vitamins were suppositories as well. It would beat my current routine of cutting horse-pill-sized-vitamin into small bits, mixing with yogurt, and very carefully swallowing each bit. Kind of a pain in the ass, really.

On the other hand, the progesterone supplements seem to melt and, um, run back out. I don't know how effective that makes them, if more of the medicine seems to be in my pants than in my girl-parts, but Don is sure that this is taken into account during the dosing. Either way, it's not like having to give myself shots or something, and if it saves this little speck of humanity and lets me not miscarry, then I will build a shrine to the lovely, lovely progesterone suppository. Although it would take me the whole 8 months to figure out what a progesterone-shrine should look like. I think I'd include incense--cones, not sticks.

5 comments:

Bella said...

What's ya'lls mailing address hon?

Lauren said...

Hee hee... suppositories indeed! What a drag, but it will add up to good news in the end I am sure.

I also despise prenatals. I'm paying a ridiculous amount of money for gelcap prenatals because I can't stand the taste or feel of any other kind. These at least go down easy.

Mara said...

Amanda, I sent ya an email w/ the address...

Bex said...

do you have to do suppositories during the day? It seems like they would work better at night when you are lying down.

Do you like how I show up when you are talking about vag suppositories.

:)

Mara said...

I do like that, actually... it's interesting to see what grabs your attention... :-)

Anyways, they're a twice-daily thing and I try to get it as close to every 12 hours as possible, getting up half and hour early in the morning to do it, then going back to bed. Unfortunately, that means the evening dose should be around 7 at night, not a time when I'm usually lying down...