Friday, April 18, 2008

Falling for dogs that aren't your own

Good news, part A: I have normal chromosomes. (Insert major sigh of relief here!)

Good news, part B: Don's insurance seems to cover paternal karyotyping.

Irksome news: My RE office has misplaced Don's insurance information, so I have to bring it to them again. Just as I did two weeks ago! This is not helping with that recurring feeling I have of being on a repeating loop of time.

I'm not that worried about Don's genetic material, for various reasons that I won't put here. The next logical step in the Neverending Fertility Quest is (of course) the Uterus Exam, the timing of which is a fragile thing: depending on my cycle, my work schedule, and the doctor's schedule. I think we're looking at the end of May, maybe? I ovulated freakishly late this month, so I have no idea when to expect my period... The challenge right now is remaining un-pregnant until all these tests can be done. Now that we've gotten pregnant on the first or second try three times in a row, we take it a bit more seriously than before. . .

And on the Interesting News front, my sister is finally coming to claim her dog. You know, the dog we agreed to watch from August to October, and have had ever since? The dog that Don has completely fallen in love with and doesn't want to give back? This is going to be painful. (For him.) It should be noted, though, that Don is kind of easy when it comes to dogs. He falls in love with every dog that he spends time with, and that loves him back. I'm sure he'll get over it, right?

Right?

*******************************************************************

Two days ago was the anniversary of our first miscarriage. I can't believe it has been one year, already, since this. On a brighter note, it was also the 7-year anniversary of Alice's adoption from the animal shelter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, dog people who don't have dogs are not gonna get over it! But I have good news. There are some lovely dogs just waiting for Don-you need a basset hound from BROOD...they are based in your area :) C'mon, they are perfect dogs, almost!

http://www.brood-va.org or you can read about my story with bassets on http://www.firstgiving.com/ahippychick (not trying to get you to give me money, either!)

Mara said...

The thing is, we DO have a dog, the lovely Alice who's been with us for 7 years and 2 days. We've agreed to not get a third animal (have a cat, too) until we're in a stable living situation with more to offer; specifically more time at home and a large yard. It wouldn't be fair to bring another dog into our home when we both work full time and have such a small (rental) house, and no yard.

I love rescue orgs, but we'll probably be going to the GSD rescue when the time comes. Don is completely enamored with German Shepherds,and has a lot of experience with them... that is, if we don't just get another lovable shelter mutt.

(Bassets are adorable, but that SMELL! To each, their own... LOL)

Bex said...

Happy Alice Adoption-versary!

(And I'm glad your getting some results back)

Anonymous said...

Gee, now why did I think Alice was a CAT? So sorry! Wow, that was a big snafu. And yep, they do smell like a bag of Fritos on their best day.

Polly Gamwich said...

Hi there, I found your blog via google blogsearch (when looking for "recurrent miscarriage"). I'm 30, my husband and I have gotten pregnant very easily 4 times and we've miscarried all 4. We have had all the tests done and now we're doing IVF to try to test the quality of my eggs.

Just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm sorry for all that you've gone through.

Big hugs to you,
Polly

WhimsicalBird said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you.

Falling for dogs that aren't your own. Has happened to me (yet), I'm working on the poor kitty down the street. She will be mine *evil laughter*.