Friday, March 21, 2008

(continued)

Genetic counselor: We got back the results from all your blood work, and you tested negative for everything.

Me: That's good, right?!

Counselor: Yes and no. It's great that you don't have any of these problems and that we can rule them out. But it means that we still don't know what's going on with you, so you're still in the diagnosis stage. If you'd tested positive, we could start treatment, instead."

*********************************************

There are no simple answers anymore! Two weeks, still, until my appointment with the RE. Two days until my first post-miscarriage period-- those are always especially fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least there are no genetic issues! I can only imagine how tough that could be - knowing that yes you could start treatment but what if it meant other more difficult decisions down the road?

two weeks will pass before you know it.

Mara said...

Unfortunately, it could still be genetic-- we haven't started down that road yet. These tests were re-testing something that came back borderline previously, when they did the thrombophilia panel and some preliminary antibody work-- it was one antibody that had been borderline before, so they repeated the test: normal.

Of all the things that could possibly be wrong with me, chromosomal stuff seems paticularly scary and also kind of insulting-- like, it's one thing if my uterus is all funky, but my genetic material?

Anonymous said...

Mara, we're on the same path as you all right now. I had a follow-up with the OB that did the curretage, and I'll be meeting with a different OB who does more fertility stuff on April 8. I'm afraid that we won't find a cause which will indeed add to the insanity. (sigh)

I hope you get some answers soon!!
~ Kimberly