Thursday, January 24, 2008

But I Wanted Bacon, Too

I've read before about keeping dream journals. You know, every time you wake up and can remember your dream, you jot it down in a notebook before you forget it; later you can sift back through it looking for patterns, significances, etc. I don't think it would work very well for me, because my dreams are just too... strange.

This morning, right before waking up, I dreamt about this... restaurant. It was either here in Virginia or downtown Burlington, because it was right in the middle of the main street (the towns are set up alike, each with a brick-paved pedestrian mall). By "middle of the street" I mean actually smack in the center, like an island, sticking out like a subway entrance. I had to walk in on one side, someone hands me my food, and I keep walking until I'm out the door on the other. The only thing they serve is fried eggs on toast. (this walk-in-get-eggs-walk-out actually happened a couple of times, as is wont to in my dreams-- it's as if my subconscious thinks I need a few walk-throughs to really get it, so whatever I dream tends to loop in spirals, with the same thing happening at multiple points. The people in the restaurant-- all strangers to me-- were so very insistent on me getting my fried eggs and toast.

The whole thing was quite intense, so that when I woke up, I thought, "Man, that was an intense dream-- about fried eggs."

As I don't keep a dream journal, I did the next best thing and woke Don up to describe it to him, which is probably why it's still so vivid.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? Does it represent something? What? Was I hungry? I didn't wake up hungry. Why eggs? Why were they fried? Why in the middle of the street? I think it was probably Vermont because I had the distinct impression that I was entering the restaurant from the north, and exiting south. Here the main street runs east-west.

This is also, incidentally, one of the reasons that I don't use mind-altering drugs... I'm kind of afraid of what's in there.

No comments: