Friday, September 21, 2007

Don's Mom's Heart

Don's mom had a major heart surgery yesterday-- a valve replacement. We didn't even know that she was having heart issues until last week, or that she was going to have the surgery until Wednesday evening. Then we find out that they moved the operation up a day. She'll be in the hospital for another week most likely. Don is driving out there as I write this to be with his parents, to return sometime next week.

I hate not knowing what's going on. Not hearing anything for hours and hours at a time. With the exception of one over-taxed neighbor, there's nobody there to keep us informed. Don's dad suffers from early-stage Alzheimer's, which makes him vague and confused at times--especially when he's upset. This trauma has kept him from sleeping and he's not in a place to be taking care of himself right now. The way they each worry about the other is touching but makes things worse, really.

I wish I could go with Don, although my presence would probably just complicate matters. I know logically that she should be fine but it'd be nice to hear it from Don himself.

6 comments:

ayla said...

I'm sorry to hear that Don's mom is ill. I hope she recovers quickly.

AuntSally said...

I'll keep you all in my prayers. Take care.

Benjamin said...

I hope everything turns out for the best.

Mara said...

Thanks ya'll.

Bella said...

Keep us updated, we'll send our best thoughts her way for a speedy, full recovery.

Mara said...

She's doing well so far. No time for a real update though!