Saturday, September 05, 2009

Eating My Cake

When Robert was younger, it was easy for me to read while he slept or dozed. At three months, he's a bit more awake and interactive, and it's harder to justify ignoring him to read a book. So, I've been reading whatever I'm reading, out loud to him. He seems to enjoy it: he seems to like just watching my face make words. It's good for me, too; reading aloud forces me to slow down a little and pay attention to words rather than paragraphs. So far we've read quite a bit of the Earth's Children series (skipping the smutty parts), and a lot of Dorothy Parker, although I can only read her in small doses without getting depressed. I know that in not too much time, we'll be reading children's books, Sandra Boynton, Dr. Seuss. I'm making time with adult literature while I still can...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, and soon you'll join our ranks! We let Z choose 3 books at night for me to read to him... we have memorized Green Eggs and Ham, Little Rabbit Waits for the Moon, and a various assortment of books on cars, trucks, trains, and so on...

Now, when I read adult literature, all I can think of is "wow... look at all the sentences, paragraphs, and complicated verbal arrangements!"

Mara said...

Yep. I have a lot of those still mostly-memorized from my brother's younger days. Sometimes I wonder what I've forgotten in order to maintain brain-space for "...would you like them on a train? Would you like them in the rain?..." and "On Saturday, he ate one piece of chocolate cake..."

I hope it wasn't anything important.