Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mah babies!

We finished the chicken house. We bought the chickens: three lovely, 7-week old Buff Orpington chicks. We are now proud... what? Chicken-owners? Chicken farmers? Parents? Sponsors? Co-habitors? I took this photo from an upstairs window, so it's not very good. They spend a lot of time huddled in the doorway like that, pondering the great outdoors. I hope that they soon make the Great Leap into the run, where they can experience grass and bugs and all that. They're already a lot less terrified of me than they were at first, which is promising. Oh, the bravest one is Matilda, the middle one is Francis, and the scaredy-chicken is as yet unnamed. They look identical to me, so I hope that either their personalities stay constant, or they don't mind switching names occasionally. For more about the coop, it's all on the other blog.


Edit: Frances, not Francis. They're all girl chickies... I hope.

5 comments:

Bex said...

Matilda and Francis, cute babies! I need a cuddle!

Mara said...

Hmm... we haven't advanced to 'cuddle' yet; they've stopped cowering in the corner when I open their door but I haven't tried to actually touch one of them yet. We're slowly working on being more affectionate!

Anonymous said...

Love the names :)

Jaclyn

Mara said...

Thanks Jackyn! I decided to go with "literary" names... Matilda is from the Roald Dahl book, Frances from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and Harriet from Harriet the Spy.

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! What cuties. Trust you to name them after great literary works, lol.